The Gabo Trust was founded in 1988 by the family of the sculptor Naum Gabo (1890-1977). Aware of problems with new materials often used in modern and contemporary sculpture, they intended that the Trust should increase resources for sculpture conservation in institutional collections, and provide support for the further education of professional conservators.
Since its foundation, the Trust has awarded grants covering a wide variety of applications. The Trust has supported individuals for further training, attending conferences and workshops as well as providing bursaries for Continuous Professional Development and research. Conservation departments within institutions have received support for acquiring conservation equipment, items to assist with the safe storage and movement of sculpture and conservation surveys of their collections.